Entries Tagged as Woodruff
February 21, 2011 ·
The students at Woodruff Early Childhood Center studied the theme “Animals Everywhere.” During this month long theme, students learned about the different types of animals, characteristics of animals, various animal habitats, and most of all the commonalities that animals and humans have alike, such as eating, sleeping, exercising, and playing.
As a culminating activity, The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission visited Woodruff and did a presentation on animals that are unique to Arkansas. Allyson Neely, a representative from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, provided students with hands-on experience, where students use their senses of feeling, seeing, and smelling. WECC students were so fascinated by the animal furs from foxes, bears, and muskrats; skin from an alligator; skeleton heads from the alligator and beaver; and most of all they met a real-live baby alligator. The students, teachers, and other staff members were excited about getting to feel the skin of a real alligator. The students’ faces lit up like shining stars. Ms. Neely and some of the WECC students did a demonstration showing that the longest alligator in Arkansas could reach up to seventeen feet. Everyone was so amazed by this.
Not only did this culminating activity introduce the three and four year old students to new interesting facts about animals, but it provided students with a real-world experience. Preschoolers love animals, and they are also fascinated by them. Children often have pets, so they have some knowledge of animals, but there are many things that they do not know. This activity allowed students to gain valuable knowledge about animals that will benefit them as they continue their journey throughout life.
January 11, 2011 ·
Due to Friday's school closure, the Student Registration Office will extend Open Enrollment through next Monday, February 7. The office will be open on Monday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The time to enroll your child for school next year is upon us. January 24 through February 4 is Open Enrollment. If you would like to apply to attend a magnet school, minority-to-majority tranfer, or other transfer options this is time period to submit your application.
REMEMBER: Registration is NOT based on a first come basis. You may register ANY TIME between January 24 through February 4. The first few days are often extremely busy and lines may form outside in cold temperatures. You may come anytime between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. from January 24 through February 4.
What are the steps I should take?
1. Visit the schools you are considering and call ahead to schedule a tour.
2. Once you have decided which schools you would like to apply for, download the appropriate 2011-2012 registration forms from www.LRSD.org:
4. Print out and complete the forms.
5. Gather your child's official state issued birth certificate (passport, military ID card or other documentation may be used), social security card or number (must have card if your are registering for P3 or P4) , proof of residence (i.e. a lease agreement or current utility bill in the parent or legal guardian's name within the past 30 days,no cell phone bills).
6. Make a copy of all documentation to submit to Little Rock School District and make a copy for your records.
7. You may register for P4-12th grade by turning in your forms at your attendance zone school.
8. For P3 and P4 students Only - Proof of income is required - such as paycheck stubs for parents/guardians living in the household - if both parents are living in the household - proof must be provided for both (no older than 30 days), 2010 W-2 Statement, 2010 Federal Income Tax Return, 2010Form 1040 Schedule 1040 Schedules C or F (if self-employed), letter from employer stating income amount and how often paid, letter from DHS caseworker or other social service agency stating gross household income, documentation showing family is currently receiving food stamp benefits, notarized letter that the parent earns no income or that the parent earns over the 200% Federal Poverty Guideline – 2010. You must also complete the ABC application.
P3 will only be accepted at the Student Registration Office (501 Sherman Street, 447-2950).
District · Woodruff